Are you hosting guests in the near future? Whether its family during the holidays or friends stopping by, having a comfortable mattress in your guest bedroom is sure to impress and make your guests feel happy and well-rested. When setting up a guest bedroom the mattress is often overlooked. Ever stay at someone’s home and the mattress was hard as a rock, overly soft, or lumpy? We’ve all been there. Sleeping in an unfamiliar place can make it difficult to sleep. Sleeping on an uncomfortable, non-supportive mattress makes sleeping well even worse.
While there are a lot of factors to take into account (the space you have set aside for your guests, your budget, how frequently you expect to host, who you expect to host, even where you live), we’ve gone with some recommendations that should suit nearly any home and multiple budgets.
Guest Bedroom Mattresses
1. Sealy Response Essentials Faithful Plush Mattress – For those of you who have a smaller budget, the price point on the Faithful Plush ($650 for a full set, $682 for a queen set) is reasonable. This mattress has a medium feel that is not too soft and not too firm so it will work for almost every sleep preference. The Response coil system provides balanced, deep down support and motion separation, which may be especially important if you’ve got the cousins sharing a bed, or your sister and her three-year-old in the same room. Family time is so much better when everyone gets enough sleep. No-flip design also means less work for you. And guest bedroom mattresses should require minimal work. If you know your guests enjoy a firmer mattress go for the Sealy Response Essentials Faithful Firm Mattress for the same price.
2. Sealy Posturepedic Response Performance Attendance Cushion Firm Mattress– This is a great mattress that offers incredible contouring comfort, motion separation, and lumbar support with Posturepedic Technology. Posturepedic Technology provides support where you need it most so, Sealy has reinforced the center third of the mattress with a layer of SealyCool Gel foam to provide deep targeted support for exceptional all-over comfort. With the additional support and a 10-year warranty, this mattress is going to be a good choice if you host guests frequently. Even with the additional performance materials, this mattress is still budget-friendly ($734 for a full set, $744 for a queen set). With the money you save, you can treat your guests to a nice dinner. Want a little softer comfort? Go with the Sealy Posturepedic Response Performance Attendance Plush Mattress for the same price.
3. Simmons Beautyrest BR800 Medium Pillowtop Mattress – This mattress offers initial soft comfort from the pillowtop with an overall medium feel that is going to work for a wide range of individuals. When in doubt go with medium comfort. The price point for this mattress is a little higher with the addition of more comfort and durability from high-density foams and Simmons high performance pocketed coil system ($990 for a full set, $1015 for a queen set). Sleeping hot is one of the most common sleep issues. This mattress features a cooling cover and breathable, pressure-relieving gel memory foams so, your guests can sleep through the night without interruptions.
4. Sealy Posturepedic Response Premium Onassis Cushion Firm Mattress – The Onassis Cushion Firm Mattress ($1218 for a full set, $1218 for a queen set) is a top of the line choice in the Sealy Response collection. Sealy’s most advanced Response Pro HD Encased Coil System, Posturepedic Technology, and breathable high-density foams give this mattress a firm yet comfortable deep cushioning feel that is ideal for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and side sleepers who like a firmer feel. If your guests prefer something a little softer go for the Sealy Posturepedic Response Premium Onassis Plush Mattress for the same price. With Sealy’s highest quality materials this mattress is going to be the best bang for your buck your guests will love.
5. Simmons Beautyrest Platinum Haven Pines Luxury Firm Pillowtop – Impress your guests with this luxuriously comfortable, supportive mattress. The Haven Pines Luxury Firm Pillowtop Mattress ($2050 for a full set, $2185 for a queen set) has a neutral feel that is ideal for all types of sleepers and features 1000 pocketed coils + an additional layer of 2000 pocketed micro coils in a queen mattress for superior contouring comfort and support. The substantial number of coils and high-density foams makes this mattress very durable and is also backed by a 10-year warranty. The price is higher but, if you host guests frequently or run a vacation rental home such as Airbnb or Vrbo, then this mattress will last and meet your guests sleep needs. For vacation rental homeowners, you may even get some good reviews out of it.
A few other tips for your guest bedroom search:
Consider Your Space
If you have the space, a full size or queen size bed is your best option. Twin size is great for singles or children, but it’s not very practical for couples. King size beds are a great luxury if you’ve got a large enough guest room, but your guests will likely also appreciate a dresser and bedside table. Be sure all the furniture fits before you commit to a king.
Stick with Traditional Innerspring
While an all-foam mattress might sound like the peak of comfort, not everyone loves the way a slab of memory foam sleeps. Same goes for waterbeds and air beds. Your best bet is to stay traditional. Most of the U.S. population sleeps on an innerspring mattress.
When in Doubt, Go with Firm to Medium Comfort
Bed comfort levels are very personal. Some people would be happy sleeping on a mattress with less give than a concrete sidewalk, while others wouldn’t be able to get comfortable in a ten-foot pile of fluffy rainbows and angel wings. However, while you can add comfort layers to a firm foundation, it’s really hard to add solidity to an overly plush mattress.
Clean and Protect
If you don’t clean your mattress now is a good time to start. Start by checking your mattress tag (or checking with the retailer or manufacturer) to see if there are any special cleaning instructions. Otherwise, you’re probably safe thoroughly vacuuming both sides, spot treating any stains, and letting it air out a while (if it’s a nice, dry day outside). For more comprehensive cleaning instructions checkout our most popular cleaning blogs:
Don’t Forget the Pillows!
The bed is important, but its perfection can be ruined by bad pillows. It is best to get pillows that are good for all types of sleepers. You don’t want to get pillows that are too tall or too short. When in doubt go with medium comfort. Check out our large selection of pillows here.
Order at Least 3-4 Weeks Prior to Your Guest’s Arrival
When ordering online you have to account for shipping and delivery times. How the delivery process works is we order all of our mattresses factory direct from the plant closest to you. It generally takes the plant about 7-10 days to make the mattress and ship it to a local delivery agent in your area. Once the agent receives your mattress they call you to set up delivery. It can take the delivery agent anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks to deliver to you depending on where you are located, how often they service your area, how busy they are, etc. but the entire process takes about 2-3 weeks. Holidays can cause extra days. Plan ahead so, you don’t have to pull out the blow-up mattress for your guests.
Enjoy your shopping, and let us know if you have any questions about which guest bedroom mattress might be best for you. Sleepcity.com is always having sales so, definitely call us at 877-246-7533 for final prices.
|Editors Note Dec 2019: This post was originally published in October 2012 and has been revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness in Dec 2019.