Beautyrest Black Hybrid Mattress Collection Review by Sleep Expert
Beautyrest has paved the way for groundbreaking mattress technologies since 1925 when they invented the first pocketed coil creating incredible motion separation that is the quintessential part of their superior sleep systems. Over the years Beautyrest has continued to improve its sleep systems and set industry standards for comfort and support through extensive research and testing.
At Sleep City we believe sleep is one of the most fundamental aspects of your overall health and happiness so we have dedicated the time to train our sleep experts on the benefits of getting a better night’s sleep as well as offering sleep products we trust to be the best. Instead of selling beds, what matters most to us at the end of the day is that we have helped improve your quality of life. We believe part of enhancing your quality of life is not only to get you sleeping on your perfect mattress but by making sure you don’t pay more than you should for the mattress of your dreams.
In today’s blog, we will break down the New Beautyrest Black Hybrid Mattress Collection which is considered to be Beautyrest’s top-of-the-line most innovative, cooling, pressure-relieving mattress collection. The New Beautyrest Black Hybrid Mattress Collection offers you the best of both worlds. The contouring, pressure-relieving comfort of cooling memory foam at the surface with incredibly durable support from Beautyrest’s premier T3 Pocketed Coil Technology at the core.
Beautyrest Black Hybrid Mattress Collection Review by our Sleep City sleep expert:
This mattress collection review is broken up into two parts:
- A detailed interior breakdown where our sleep expert will explain where each component is located in the mattress and what each component does for your body.
- Comfort reviews by our Sleep City sleep expert.
Starting at the surface of these mattresses is Beautyrest’s NEW BlackICE™ Hybrid Technology Cover. The Cover features a grey and white striped design with specs of silver throughout. It almost looks like an optical illusion. I was impressed with the modern yet elegant look of this cover as well as the black sides of the mattress, the signature to the Beautyrest Black line. Lying down on these mattresses I was especially impressed with how cool the cover actually felt. I’ve been with Sleep City for 3 and ½ years now and I would have to say this is the coolest cover (visually and physically) Beautyrest has created yet. When I was trying these mattresses, I was wearing a thick sweater and jeans and I could still feel the cooling aspects of the cover so, I don’t doubt that you would be able to feel the coolness of the cover through a mattress protector and sheets. Sleeping hot is one of the top complaints of consumers today so, a cooling cover is a huge plus for this mattress line. Along with the cooling aspects, this cover features a soft, stretchy ContourFit design which allows you to adapt and feel the contouring, pressure-relieving memory foams more closely. Because of this cover design, you get a consistent conforming feel over the entire surface of the mattress. With traditional style mattresses, the top is quilted with comfort material between you and layers of foam creating peaks and valleys.
Cooling, High-Density Foams
Moving on to the comfort layers of these mattresses it is important to note that Simmons has included their top-of-the-line, highest density, stand-by foams (some new and some they have been using for years) in this new Black Hybrid line. Ever hear the expression “if isn’t broken, don’t fix it.”? This is exactly Simmons’ theory with this new line. Simmons has found these foams to be the most consistently performing foams so, they belong in their most luxurious mattresses.
The contouring abilities of this mattress collection are astonishing. The moment I laid down on each of these mattresses I immediately felt like I was being hugged and supported. A very comforting feeling. Below I will explain the benefits of each foam and where they can be found in the mattress.
- RightTemp™ MemoryFoam– RightTemp™ MemoryFoam is the first foam found in all the new Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattresses as well as in the top-of-the-line Beautyrest Black C-Class and K-Class mattresses. This foam is placed at the surface for two main reasons. First, this foam is designed to cradle your body and relieve pressure points. Second, the conductive materials in the foam pull heat away from your body to help you maintain an ideal sleeping temperature so you can sleep through the night without interruptions (ie waking up in a sweat).
- Beautyrest® Gel MemoryFoam– Beautyrest Gel Memory Foam can be found in the comfort layers of the Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Medium mattress and Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Ultra Plush mattress. This premium memory foam is combined with gel to provide incredible pressure relief and motion separation so, you can move freely throughout the night without that sink-in feeling you get with some memory foam mattresses. Gel Memory Foam also offers higher levels of cooling properties than most memory foams.
- AirCool® MemoryFoam– AirCool® MemoryFoam is found in the Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Plush mattress and the Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Ultra Plush mattress. Simmons has been using this foam in their higher-end, soft mattresses for many years. This foam features an open cell structure that helps dissipate heat and increase airflow throughout the mattress so you can sleep cool and comfortably all night long. Along with this foam’s temperature regulating benefits, this foam also softly conforms to your body for satisfying pressure relief and motion separation.
- Self Response™ Latex– Self Response™ Latex is found in the last comfort layer in the Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Firm mattress and the Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Ultra Plush mattress. For people who have a latex allergy, do not fear. The latex layer sits so deep in the mattress that your skin will not be in touch with the material. This pinhole-ventilated material is designed to promote airflow and conform to your body for maximum pressure relief, comfort, and motion separation. This latex layer features a consistent cell structure throughout the layer making it responsive, resilient, and durable. Latex is also known for being an anti-dust mite.
- HD MemoryFoam- This foam is only found in the Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Firm Mattress within the Beautyrest Black Hybrid Collection. HD Memory Foam is a firm, high-density memory foam that is designed to deeply cushion and contour your body while providing excellent pressure relief and support.
- Support System– Last but not least is the T3 Pocketed Coil®, the core of the mattress. The pocketed coil was first invented by Simmons in 1925 and has since been improved and innovated for better conformability, durability, and motion separation than any other coil. Remember those Beautyrest commercials where they dropped a bowling ball on a mattress with bowling pins set up at the end of the bed, and the pins didn’t move? This is a perfect representation of how these coils work. These coils are designed to perfectly contour your body so, that when you change sleeping positions you don’t disturb your partner. These coils can only be found in the Beautyrest Black Hybrid and Beautyrest Black Mattresses. The difference between these coils and coils in the other Beautyrest lines is that these high-carbon steel coils are triple-strand wrapped creating a stronger coil. Otherwise, they are pre-compressed, and individually wrapped in durable, yet soft non-allergenic fabric like all other Beautyrest coils.
- BeautyEdge® Support– Surrounding the entire outer edge of these mattresses are thick foam rails for additional firm stable support. This foam encasement ensures an edge-to-edge sleeping experience and helps prevent you from rolling or sliding out of bed.
*All Beautyrest Black Hybrid mattresses are adjustable base friendly as well.
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Medium mattress has a medium feel that is not too soft and not too firm. I would label this as the “Goldilocks bed” because this type of comfort is ideal for all types of sleepers. This will be an especially good choice for couples who have different comfort preferences. Whether you are a back sleeper, side sleeper, stomach sleeper or a combination of the three this mattress will feel just right. The moment I laid down on this mattress I could feel the cooling cover doing its job and the memory foams conformed perfectly to the curves of my body. My body sank down just the right amount. Along with its just-right feel, the price is right as well at $2000 for a queen mattress. This mattress is considered the entry-level model in the Beautyrest Black Hybrid line and features many of the same luxury features of the top-of-the-line but without the high price tag. I would rate this mattress as a 4 on our 10-point comfort scale (1 being the firmest and 10 being the softest).
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Plush mattress is on the softer side of medium. As I lay down on the mattress, I sink down just enough that it is comfortably soft but you can tell it has substantial underlying support. This mattress features two layers of AirCool® MemoryFoam. AirCool MemoryFoam has been used in Beautyrest’s softer mattresses for many years and for good reason. This unique foam has an open-cell structure that helps dissipate heat throughout the mattress as it conforms softly to the curves of your body providing comfortable pressure point relief. This foam also returns to its original shape quickly making it easier to change positions throughout the night. I would suggest this mattress to back and side sleepers looking for a soft cradling feel that is not extremely soft. I would not recommend this to stomach sleepers. Stomach sleepers should go for a firmer feel because a soft mattress will cause one’s torso to sink creating a significant arch that will cause back pain. I would rate this mattress as a 6 on our 10-point comfort scale (1 being the firmest and 10 being the softest).
The Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Firm mattress is the firmest mattress in this line and features Simmons highest quality comfort and support materials. HD Memory is a high-density foam that aids in cushioning and contouring your body for excellent pressure relief and support. Comfort Response latex, which has been used in Simmons highest quality mattresses for years, provides a responsive, supportive feel. Latex is one of the best materials used in the mattress industry today and it is anti-dust mite and anti-microbial to boot. This is one of the most comfortable firm mattresses I have tested. On some firm mattresses, it can feel like laying on a carpeted floor that does not have any give which can create body pain. This mattress contours, supports, and cools. Laying down on this mattress it is definitely firm but I was pleasantly surprised by how well this mattress conforms to the curvatures of my body. I would rate this as a 3 on our 10-point comfort scale (1 being the firmest and 10 being the softest). Overall, I was amazed by the contouring and comfort aspects of this mattress. I would suggest this for mainly back and stomach sleepers. It may be too firm for side sleepers but if you are a side sleeper and you like a firm feel then this would be a great choice.
Yup! This is a really soft mattress. The Beautyrest Black Hybrid X Class Ultra Plush is the softest mattress in this line as well as the top-of-the-line in this collection. This is the softest hybrid mattress I have ever felt. Sitting on the edge of the mattress I sink down about 2-3 inches but the edge support is still very strong keeping me from slipping off. Even though this mattress is really soft the comfort layers are responsive and return to form quickly making it easy to move positions throughout the night. Laying down it feels very soft and enveloping yet supportive. I would rate this as an 8 on our 10-point comfort scale (1 being the firmest and 10 being the softest). This is going to be a great choice for back and side sleepers who absolutely know they like a really soft mattress. I would definitely not recommend this mattress to a stomach sleeper. Stomach sleepers need firmer comfort to maintain even body alignment.
I hope these comfort reviews are helpful in your mattress-buying journey. If you have questions about Simmons mattresses, the mattress industries, or questions about prices, don’t hesitate to call us at 877-246-7533.
One of our sleep experts will be more than happy to answer your questions and help you find the mattress of your dreams. We are here to help!