Where’s your head at? It’s an important question to ask when you are buying a new pillow. When you spend 1/3 of your life with your head on a pillow, it’s important to purchase the right pillow. Experts say comfort is your primary consideration, but it shouldn’t be the only factor to consider when buying pillows. You also have to think about neck support, potential allergens and long-term durability.
Why buy pillows from Sleep City?
We care about the pillows we sell. They’re not just a product on a page like majority of companies offering hundreds of pillows. Our sleep experts research the pillow products available and recruit the best in each category. Many businesses and online stores have a few off-brand types and will try to skimp you on quality so they can make an extra buck. Our standard and commitment is higher than that. You can always expect the lowest price and highest quality from Sleep City.
Why should I care about my pillow?
It is a very comforting feeling to have just the right pillow to rest an achy, tired body on. In addition to providing comfort, the right pillows can also provide the necessary support for the neck and spine—alleviating or preventing many common forms of back pain and neck pain.
Not having the right pillow can contribute to headaches, neck pain, shoulder and arm numbness, discomfort, snoring, sneezing, wheezing (trouble breathing) which leads to extra tossing and turning, which leads to lack of quality sleep. How you sleep affects your health, both mentally and physically.
- Mentally – not getting good sleep can affect your concentration, judgment, memory, mood, and stress levels.
- Physically – not getting good sleep can contribute to aches and pains, prevent healing, fatigue, can cause or prolong illness, immune system breakdown, weight gain and more.
Pillows by Fill Type
Soft to firm pillows, determining the type of fill for your pillow is really a personal choice. Most all pillows pretty much look alike — but if you look underneath the covers you’ll find an array of fillings, including soft, down and feathers; latex foam; gel and high-tech memory foam. All pillow types have their pluses and minuses, below you will find different pillow explanations that will help you choose. Discover how comfortable the right pillow can be.
You should consider your purchase of a down pillow as an investment. Inexpensive store-bought pillows can lose much of their lofting and insulating ability after a relatively short time. Down clusters are made up of light, fluffy filaments that expand and intertwine to form air pockets. These clusters trap air to create nature’s most effective insulator. That’s what makes down so light and fluffy and the perfect choice for a pillow.
Why buy Sleep City down pillows?
- Many luxury resorts carry this exact pillows and people call afterwards and order directly through the place they stayed and pay up to 3 times more than the retail price.
- For the money it’s as good as it gets. One of the most economically sound down pillows on the market. We have found that most down pillows in the $69-$179 range often have the same or even lesser quality material in them.
Memory Foam Pillows
Some like the feel of the denser memory foam pillows, which revert back to their original shape after sleep and offer very good neck support. These are popular because they reduce pressure points by continuously molding and adjusting to the shape of your body as you move throughout the night. Memory foam pillows come in various shapes, including a popular contoured S-shape, which is meant to support the neck.
Why buy Sleep City memory foam pillows? Sleep City carries the best memory foam pillows in the market, here’s why:
- We know that a common complaint of memory foam is that it sleeps warm. All of our memory foam pillows for sale directly address this issue. They all feature ventilated cores and high density that maintain a cooler temperature.
- Many of the cheaper memory foam pillows are made with lower density and cheaper components. Our high quality pillows last 3-5 times longer and conform to higher detail (unique curves of the head and neck). Generally if there is a bad review on memory foam it is because the manufacturer cut the corner on one of these components.
- Another nice feature is our memory foam pillows don’t get hard when it’s cold. That is a common issue with many memory foam pillows.
- Some memory foam pillows lose its responsiveness in the first couple nights. About 99% of them is because it was an off brand.
- We simply carry the best in the industry.
Latex pillows conform to your head and neck for ideal comfort and support. Latex itself has a springy resilient feel. They generally come in two forms: a solid core for a more springy, bouncy solid feel or a shredded /granulated filling for a down like feel that doesn’t compact over time. Latex pillows are hypoallergenic, anti-microbial, mildew proof and dust mite resistant.
Why buy Sleep City latex foam pillows? Sleep City offers latex pillows at the best quality and are offered in soft, medium and firm levels for superior support and comfort:
- No harmful byproducts are released and every product is cleansed in an extensive five-stage fresh water washer to ensure the removal of residual latex proteins and curing agents.
- All products feature the highest grade of latex available on the market. These pillows will last the longest, give you the most pressure relief and be the healthiest.
- We simply carry the best in the industry.
Specialty pillows include all other pillows that don’t fit the ‘normal’ category.
- gel pillows
- buckwheat pillows
- aromatherapy pillows
- water pillows
The right pillow depends on how you sleep
Everyone has a unique sleeping style and position. Some of us sleep on our sides while others sleep on their backs. There are some who find it very comfortable sleeping on their stomach. The best thing a pillow can do for you is keep your head and neck in a neutral position during sleep (‘neutral position’ is keeping your spine the same as if you are standing). To find the best pillow for you, you need to be aware of your sleeping habits. Keep in mind that you may start in one position, but most people move around during the night.
If you sleep on your back…
Back sleepers need thinner pillows, so your head is not thrown too far forward. Also look for a pillow with extra loft in the bottom third of the pillow to cradle your neck. If you sleep on your back then you’ll probably want to consider a medium or thinner pillow. It really depends on your body build as to what is the proper height. Sleep experts usually recommend adding an additional pillow underneath your knees when you sleep on your back to further help align your spine. You need a pillow that will support the natural curvature of your upper spine, providing support under your head, neck and shoulders. A pillow with medium firmness would probably be your best choice.
If you sleep on your side…
Side sleepers need a firmer pillow to fill in the distance between the ear and outside shoulder. If you sleep on your side (like most people do), then you need something to support your head and neck correctly while you sleep so you wake up feeling refreshed and energized. You’ll normally want to look for a medium density pillow so that your spine maintains a straight and horizontal line. A firm pillow would be best for you.
If you’re a stomach sleeper…
Look for a very thin, almost flat pillow. You may not even need a pillow for your head, but consider tucking one under your stomach to avoid lower back pain. If you sleep on your stomach however, you don’t want to use too high of a pillow, or chances are your spine will be forced into very unnatural positions while you sleep and you’ll end up with a major backache and probably a neck ache. You’ll want to go for a softer thinner type of pillow.
If you tend to sleep in all or some of the above positions, the best option for you might be an all-around type pillow. This means it’s not too dense or high for most people and provides proper support for the average build in all positions. This may be a good place to start when buying a luxury pillow if you’re not a hundred percent positive that you’ll like the firmer, denser, higher pillows.
Sleep City gets right to the good stuff, offering you the best pillows out there.
Our pillows are offered at the lowest price you can find and includes free shipping. Rest assured, because Sleep City offers you a 100 Night Low Price Guarantee.